I often wonder how many people actually believe that phrase is in the Constitution, it is not. The phrase is often attributed to Thomas Jefferson "and others" and quoted by the Supreme Court as the basis for the intent of the First Amendment, which reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." Article VI also states "no religious test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." But what does all this mean and how diligently has it been used to remove God from America?
At the risk of being trite for a moment I will repeat the statement that, the First Amendment guarantees a freedom of religion, nor from religion. As I previously mention Jefferson is believed to have coined the separation clause but he also is responsible for saying, "among the inestimable of our blessings, also, is that ...of liberty to worship our Creator in the way we think most agreeable to His will; ..." So Jefferson was not the Godless heathen our educators insist on presenting in their curriculum.
True there is no direct mention of God in the Constitution but "creator> is referenced repeatedly. Also interrestingly enough the document is dated as follows: "Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven" Funny thing about that.
So what am I driving at here? The First Amendment as it is written guarantees everyone's responsibility to respect ALL religions. It does not command the removal of religion from schools, court houses, public buildings or any location whatsoever. If applied as intended, you (all persons) must respect my beliefs just as I am required to respect yours, which includes atheists!
The true and direct application of the First Amendment guarantees the placing of a Nativity at the town square, because we are all required by law to respect each others beliefs. It is, in fact, the single most important fundamental right of freedom. Furthermore all these "basic rights" are not derived from the Constitution, they are blessings from "our creator" and only referred to as "inalienable rights" which may never be "infringed"
Nice approach to a difficult concept for most. While I have never had a problem with the wording, I do realize most folks have been misled all their lives. GOD forbid they took the time to actually read it for themselves.
ReplyDelete